Monday, February 18, 2013

gumbo: my version


Gumbo is a Creole dish that I enjoy - especially on a cold and rainy day. But when it's cold and rainy in Shanghai, gumbo can seem to be further out of reach than most comfort foods. So yes, I had to make it. :)

Here's my version of gumbo. What people don't realize is that it can be really healthy and easy to make!
The funny thing is, today, I happened to make gumbo without okra - which is usually known to be quite an important ingredient in gumbo (the name gumbo is derived from the word ki ngombo, meaning okra in Bantu, an African dialect). My market didn't have any and I didn't get to visit the avocado lady today (she usually has it - even in the cold seasons.) So for this reason, I will include okra in my recipe, though today I made the exception of cooking without it.

One teaspoon garlic powder
Two cans of chicken broth
One tomato, one red pepper (seeded), one green pepper (seeded) , one yellow onion  (peeled) - all chopped.
Two stalks of celery, chopped.
Half a garlic, peeled and chopped coarsely.
One teaspoon hot sauce
Half a cup of long grain rice, rinsed
Half a teaspoons of thyme, two teaspoons of oregano, half a teaspoon of sea salt
Two bay leaves
Not pictured: 
One pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into one-inch cubes
Half a teaspoon of black pepper
A pinch of white pepper
Two cups of fresh okra, chopped

In a non-stick slow cooker,  use low heat and blend all ingredients - including chicken. Mix well and cover.
Simmer. After four hours on low heat, check on flavor/texture. I added mustard here for more "zing".
Cover and cook for another one-two hours.
Please note that traditionally gumbo is served over rice and rice is not cooked with the gumbo. However, I chose to add a little bit of rice in my version - but feel free to omit. 

Enjoy and happy cooking/eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment